1. Get organized - Although it has been said that the most creative people are also the messiest, the beginning of the school year is a great time to create an organization system that works for you. Set up a routine time every day or each week to tidy up your living space and school supplies.
2. Stay healthy - Take advantage of the new Welch Fitness Center and the healthy food options at the dining hall. Working out is a great way to relieve stress and release endorphins.
3. Manage your time - Google Calendar is a useful tool to visualize your schedule. Color code your events, set reminders, share events with peers and sync your schedule with your smart phone.
4. Get involved - Visit the Student Activities Fair on Friday, Aug. 29 at 6:30 p.m. Extracurricular activities often teach you things that you can not learn in a classroom. With over 100 student organizations, DePauw has something for everyone. This is a good way to meet students from a variety of grade levels and majors.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask for help - It’s much better to ask for help as soon as you need it rather than suffer in silence. DePauw is a supportive community and there are many people and resources available.
6. Celebrate DePauw - Cheer for our teams at athletic events, attend Ubben Lectures, eat at Marvin’s and do all those unique activities that make you proud to be a DePauw tiger.
7. Check your e-mail often - DePauw students sometimes joke about the large amount of e-mails they get on a daily basis. Get in the habit of checking it regularly so you don’t become overwhelmed with information. Be prompt with your responses. It also helps to create folders and filters so that your inbox isn’t overflowing with irrelevant and outdated messages.
8. Don’t procrastinate - It’s so much easier said than done, but it’s the best feeling to finish a project with plenty of time to spare.
9. Explore Greencastle - Take some time to venture off campus now and then. Read the local newspaper, the Banner Graphic, to learn more about the Greencastle community and to see what the city has to offer.
10. Take advantage of opportunities - DePauw is overflowing with amazing opportunities for its students. Take chances, do something you’ve never done and make lasting memories.